Friday, March 12, 2010

Precious Thursday

March 11, 2010


It’s not that I’m not in the mood to write. It’s there. The thoughts are there. I just can’t focus. Everything wants to come out at the same time. Watching Precious brings up an old idea. I want to try teaching adults with literacy issues. At least you know when they’re that old they want to learn when they come to you. Half of the kids at public schools don’t seem to want to hear you talk. I’ve never been there, but from what I hear from my teacher friends, I don’t want to be.
I want to like this film. The Oscars and other film awards tell me I should. It’s just that is has two people I’m not a huge fan of, Monique and Tyler Perry. I don’t find either funny. I also don’t think either help in the bettering of a race as they seem to think. Sometimes I think that’s a silly statement, “bettering a race.” Saying that makes it seem like you need to better your race. Don’t you just need to change the opinions of ignorant fools? Changing someone else’s minds doesn’t better a race. The race is still the same; it’s everyone else who’s better. I’m not trying to get deep or political. It's just a silly statement.
I will say one thing for this movie. Mariah Carey with a mustache is somewhat funny. I’m not a big fan of her either. Someone once told me I should respect her because “she has a range higher than a grand piano.” I might be tone deaf, but I don’t know that I agree with that statement. Just because you can squeal out a high note, does not mean you can sing a high note.
I can’t imagine the frustration of not being able to write and suddenly having too. Your hand never moves fast enough for you brain. I assume my first journal in elementary school was similar. I imagine half-written words in scribbled handwriting that only I could understand. I still have journal from first grade. Thank you Miss Alexander. I think that was her name. I’m sure if it was that important I could look it up my year book. What does an elementary school need with a year book? It’s smaller than a magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment